Follow the amazing journey of a banana sandwich from the first moment it is chewed to the last moment it is pooed!
Learn about the digestive system and importance of having a healthy, well-balanced diet. Children will find out how our body absorbs the vitamins and minerals it needs and more amusingly how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn about the different parts of the digestive system and the role of each in digestion.
- Learn about teeth and their role in the mechanical breakdown of food in the mouth.
- Using the eatwell plate to identify the key nutrient groups and the foods they are found in.
- Understand the components of a balanced diet.
- Understand that our body absorbs nutrients from the food we eat and how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn that it’s important to eat foods which contain fibre, drink lots of water and take plenty of exercise to keep the digestive process running smoothly.
Animals, including humans
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition and they get nutrition from what they eat.
- Describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
- Identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- Recognise the impact of diet and exercise on the way their bodies function.
- Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
Available selected dates during Autumn, Spring and Summer terms:
10 September – 17 October 2019
5 November – 22 November 2019
7 January – 14 February 2020
25 February – 1 April 2020
21 April – 21 May 2020
2 June- 17 July 2020
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- A welcome by our specially trained staff
- Dedicated lunch area for your pupils
- Option to pre-book a visit to the gift shop
- Explore our museum and outside area
- Free teacher preview visit
- Resources such as risk assessments and gallery guides
Calderdale schools get 50% off!Contact us