This NEW workshop is funded by the UK Space Agency to showcase our world-leading space sector.
Could there be life on Mars? What does life need to exist? Pupils will find out about the ExoMars mission in this hands-on workshop. Working scientifically, students will test ‘Martian’ soil samples and analyse the types of organisms that may be found.
- Find out about Mars and the ExoMars mission and the UK’s involvement in it.
- Learn about the complexities of controlling a robot on another planet.
- Learn about the surface of Mars and the possible types of life that could be or could have been supported there, such as extremophiles.
- Find about the range of STEM-based roles involved in robotic space exploration.
- Setting us simple practical enquiries, comparative and fair tests.
- Making systemic and careful observations and, where appropriate, taking accurate measurements.
- Using results to draw simple conclusions.
- Identifying differences, similarities or changes related to simple scientific ideas and processes.
- Using straightforward scientific evidence to answer questions or to support their findings.
- Explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil, and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant.
Living things and their habitats
- Recognise that environments can change and that this can sometimes pose dangers to living things.
- Describe how living things are classified into broad groups according to common observable characteristics and based on similarities and differences, including micro-organisms, plants and animals.
Evolution and inheritance
- Identify how animals and plants are adapted to suit their environment in different ways and that adaption may lead to evolution.
Available selected dates Spring, Summer, and Autumn term:
22 January – 14 February
25 February – 1 April
29 April – 21 May
22 September – 23 October
3 November – 20 November
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- A welcome by our specially trained staff
- Dedicated lunch area for your pupils
- Option to pre-book a visit to the gift shop
- Explore our museum and outside area
- Free teacher preview visit
- Resources such as risk assessments and gallery guides
Calderdale schools get 50% off!Contact us