In these workshops, children will use computers to programme real-world objects. Using basic computing principles they will programme a robot or Micro:bit to accomplish tasks, learning how algorithms and coding can be used in both the digital and real world.
Beginner level (for pupils starting their computing journey)
- Understand what an algorithm is and that computers follow these precise and unambiguous instructions.
- Learn how to write a simple algorithm
- Learn how to use a simple arrow based interface to control a robot.
- Learn how to write a simple program to navigate the robot around the table to specific points.
- Understand what algorithms are; how they are implemented as programs on digital devices; and that programs execute by following precise and unambiguous instructions.
- Create and debug simple programs.
- Use logical reasoning to predict the behaviour of simple programs
- Describe position, direction and movement, including whole, half, quarter and three-quarter turns.
Intermediate level (for classes already familiar with computing)
- Learn how to use block-based coding interface to write simple programmes.
- Learn how to use input and output in a computer programme.
- Discover what kinds of materials conduct electricity.
- Learn how to use conditional statements when writing computer programmes.
- Learn how to write a simple programme that uses a Micro:bit to test if an item can conduct electricity.
- Design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems
- Work with variables and various forms of input and output
- Recognise some common conductors and insulators, and associate metals with being good conductors
Available selected dates in Spring and Autumn 2020 terms:
22 January – 14 February
25 February – 1 April
15 September – 22 October
3 – 20 November
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- A welcome by our specially trained staff
- Dedicated lunch area for your pupils
- Option to pre-book a visit to the gift shop
- Explore our museum and outside area
- Free teacher preview visit
- Resources such as risk assessments and gallery guides
Calderdale schools get 50% off!Contact us