Follow the amazing journey of a banana sandwich from the first moment it is chewed to the last moment it is pooed!
Learn about the digestive system and importance of having a healthy, well-balanced diet. Children will find out how our body absorbs the vitamins and minerals it needs and more amusingly how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn about the different parts of the digestive system and the role of each in digestion.
- Learn about teeth and their role in the mechanical breakdown of food in the mouth.
- Using the eatwell plate to identify the key nutrient groups and the foods they are found in.
- Understand the components of a balanced diet.
- Understand that our body absorbs nutrients from the food we eat and how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn that it’s important to eat foods which contain fibre, drink lots of water and take plenty of exercise to keep the digestive process running smoothly.
Animals, including humans
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition and they get nutrition from what they eat.
- Describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
- Identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- Recognise the impact of diet and exercise on the way their bodies function.
- Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
Available selected dates in all 2020 terms:
7 January – 14 February
25 February – 5 March
17 March – 1 April
21 April – 21 May
3 June – 17 July
8 September – 22 October
3 – 20 November
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- A welcome by our specially trained staff
- Dedicated lunch area for your pupils
- Option to pre-book a visit to the gift shop
- Explore our museum and outside area
- Free teacher preview visit
- Resources such as risk assessments and gallery guides
Calderdale schools get 50% off!Contact us