Location: Halifax & Wirral during Autumn, Spring and Summer terms
Follow the amazing journey of a banana sandwich from the first moment it is chewed to the last moment it is pooed!
Learn about the digestive system and importance of having a healthy, well-balanced diet. Children will find out how our body absorbs the vitamins and minerals it needs and more amusingly how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn about the different parts of the digestive system and the role of each in digestion.
- Learn about teeth and their role in the mechanical breakdown of food in the mouth.
- Using the eatwell plate to identify the key nutrient groups and the foods they are found in.
- Understand the components of a balanced diet.
- Understand that our body absorbs nutrients from the food we eat and how it gets rid of what we don’t need.
- Learn that it’s important to eat foods which contain fibre, drink lots of water and take plenty of exercise to keep the digestive process running smoothly.
Animals, including humans
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition and they get nutrition from what they eat.
- Describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
- Identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions.
- Recognise the impact of diet and exercise on the way their bodies function.
- Describe the ways in which nutrients and water are transported within animals, including humans.
Audience: Key Stage 2
Available selected dates:
Autumn: 26 Sep – 21 Dec ’23
Spring: 8 Jan – 22 Mar ’24
Summer: 8 Apr – 22 Jul ’24
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- Two hours to explore our galleries
- 30 minute science show for your class only
- Your very own Enabler, to greet and guide you, and make sure you have a great day!
- Dedicated lunch space