One of our most popular and enduring science shows, and perfect for your KS1 class. Join our resident Grossologists to explore scabs, saliva, germs, digestion, mucus and more, with a range of hands-on (yuck!) demonstrations for your class.
And the best bit? You don’t have to clear up the mess afterwards. You’re welcome!
- Understand how a scab protects the healing skin underneath when you cut yourself.
- Discover how saliva helps you to swallow your food and also kills bacteria in your mouth.
- Recognise and name of some of the organs involved in the digestion process and the jobs they do.
- Learn how burps and poops are caused by a build-up of gas in either the stomach or the large intestine.
- Understand that the mucus in our nose traps dust, germs and other things in the air and stops them from getting into the lungs.
- Understand why we might be sick and that doing so is one way our body looks after itself.
- Recognise how easily germs can spread and the importance of practising good hygiene.
- Asking simple questions and recognising that they can be answered in different ways
- Observing closely, using simple equipment
- Using their observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions
Combine Gross Lab with a gallery visit to All About Me – our gallery dedicated to the human body!
Available selected dates during Spring, Summer and Autumn terms:
7 January – 14 February
25 February – 5 March
17 March – 1 April
21 April – 21 May
3 June – 17 July
8 September – 22 October
3 November – 20 November
Remember: We’re closed on Mondays during term time!
All visits include
- A welcome by our specially trained staff
- Dedicated lunch area for your pupils
- Option to pre-book a visit to the gift shop
- Explore our museum and outside area
- Free teacher preview visit
- Resources such as risk assessments and gallery guides
Calderdale schools get 50% off!Contact us